Modifying the framework-res.apk (theming the user interface)
byon 06-09-2012 at 12:21 PM (17936 Views)
On android devices the /system/framework/framework-res.apk contains the elements of the Graphical User Interface. The images inside this file can be easily modified.
1. Copy the framework-res.apk from your android device (or ROM) to your PC. Create a backup from the original framework-res.apk.
2. Extract the framework-res.apk with winRAR to a folder of your choice (this folder will contain the source images that you will be editing/replacing)
3. In the extracted folder you can look for the image component that you want to edit. Open it, edit it and save it.
4. Now all you have to do is open the original framework-res.apk in winRAR (don't extract, just open it). Drag and drop the new image files to its corresponding folder in winRAR. Use Normal compression method and Add and replace Update mode.
Close winRAR. Your new framework-res.apk is ready.
5. You can flash the new framework from recovery with an update.zip or you can put this new framework in your ROM.
DO NOT push the file to a working device via ADB, it will freeze the device instantly.
Here I edited the default_wallaper.jpg. I added the www.apad.tv link to the original Ainol Elf II wallpaper.